Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's Good To Be Back

Well, it's been admittedly way too long since I last posted, but I think it's time I get back in the swing of things.

I'm moving to a new apartment, and as I was packing up my extensive and over flowing DVD collection, I remembered that when I moved to California, I set aside a selection of DVDs that were essentially "comfort" DVDs. They were mostly comedies, a few musicals and the occasional drama or mafia movie that I loved watching and rewatching. They were nice and familiar, and provided an odd sense of stability when it came to moving at least once a year or so, not having a real bed (a mattress on the floor is just not the same), and facing a fair amount of job uncertainity for the better part of living here. The box contained classics like Young Frankenstein, Wayne's World, Goodfellas, Moulin Rogue, and a funky little movie called The Big Tease.

The Big Tease is a faux documentary about Scottish hair dresser Crawford Mackenzie (aka Craig Ferguson, my favorite late night host) who comes to Los Angeles thinking he was invited to compete in a hair cutting competition, is mistaken, and then works his way in to be the champion.

It's very funny, very silly, and I'm not lying when I say it always makes me feel better about living in L.A. Crawford is so optimistic and never stops trying to get his dream that you can't help but feel better and pretty good about your chances.

I mean, look how happy he is!



If he can do it, why can't I? If he can prance in his underwear in a fancy hotel, I can too! Until recently, I had some shaky times here in L.A. where I doubted my chances of making it. But when I'd get home, I'd pop that in the ole lap top and smile.



So if you're down, you're in a new city (L.A. or otherwise), and need a good laugh, I recommend The Big Tease.

I concede that this story may not be especially funny, but it is true. And it's a kick off to more regular updates on my fond memories of movies, tv and otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment